When we think about fat loss we think about diet and exercise. But just how much does your diet and exercise influence your weight loss?
You might be surprised to hear that nutrition accounts for 80% of the fat loss the other 20% is from exercise.
If you are that person who pounds the treadmill day in and day out and you are not seeing the pounds shift, it is most probably down to nutrition. Weight loss is not magic; it isn’t something that just happens. It is a science, calories in verses calories out. If you consume more calories than you burn you will gain weight if you consume less you will lose weight. So why are so many people getting it wrong?
Firstly the biggest mistake people can make is not being aware of what they are consuming every day, underestimating the calories in foods, through lack of knowledge, portion size and denial.
Clients who keep a food diary are 50% more likely to lose weight than those who don’t. Food diaries can be a fantastic insight into your calorie intake, portion size, day to day habits; good and bad, macronutrient intake, emotional triggers and lots more.
To lose one pound a week you need to burn on average 500kcal per day. This amount of calories burnt through exercise can be difficult to achieve for most people. However cutting our diet by 500 calories a day is much easier, especially with the right knowledge and advice. You can create this kind of deficit by food swapping and cutting back on high sugar foods containing lots of empty calories, by doing this you will not feel deprived or hungry, in fact you will feel all the benefits of properly nourishing your body.
Exercise is an integral part of our overall health and wellbeing. There are so many benefits of exercise, including reducing the risk of heart disease and diabetes, lowers blood pressure, reduces cancer risk, strengthens muscles, improves mood, helps reduce body fat to name but a few. I recommend to all my clients’ that they undertake a min of 30 minutes of exercise every day. Incorporate this with the perfect nutrition plan and support and you will see the pounds melt away. We are all given a calorie allowance each day, spend them wisely.