Making healthy food and drink choices is something we all know how to do on a logical and intellectual level. Nowadays we have easy access to an abundance of healthy-eating advice and information, and healthy living is a hot topic.
We all know that an apple is a better choice than a bar of chocolate. We know that our bodies are crying out for a drink of hydrating, cleansing water and not a chemical-laden can of Diet Coke.
Why, then, can it be so difficult to make the right choice?
Why can it be so difficult to break a bad habit, even when we know that the benefits of doing so would be immense and probably even life-changing?
The answer to these questions is not that we are lazy or weak or greedy or undeserving (or whichever negative narrative we have come to believe).
The answer to these questions is programming. We are programmed from the time we are in the womb and this programming goes on for our whole lives.
Our conscious mind accounts for only around 5% of our entire mind. Just 5%! This, of course, means that the other 95% of the time (i.e. almost always) we are functioning from the programmes which have been embedded into our subconscious at some point in our life.
A good analogy for this is learning to drive. It is only a conscious process when we are actively learning and have to consciously remember to put the clutch down before we change gear or remember ‘mirror, signal, manoeuvre’, for example. Once we are competent and experienced drivers, driving becomes a subconscious process and we often arrive at our destination and struggle to remember how we got there!
What’s more, the subconscious mind processes information billions of times more quickly than the conscious mind. So, this fact coupled with the fact that the subconscious accounts for around 95% of our mind as a whole should give you some idea of how incredibly powerful the influence of our subconscious programming is.
This is absolutely fine – in fact, it’s great! – if we are operating on positive subconscious programmes like ‘I am worthy’ or ‘I deserve to be happy’ or ‘I love my life’.
Often, however, we are operating on more detrimental programmes:
‘I’m not good enough’
‘I don’t deserve to be happy/healthy/attractive’
‘I’m not clever enough’
‘My sister is the pretty one’
‘I can’t do anything right’
‘My mum has always been overweight so I will be too’
‘Food is the only thing that makes me happy’.
And many, many more.
Do any of these sound familiar? Do any of these resonate with you or make you feel uncomfortable/sad/angry?
Our bodies record every experience we ever have, from our time in the womb onwards (quite a thought, I know!). So even when we can’t consciously remember an experience because we were very young (or often because we have managed quite successfully to push it right to the back of our minds), our body still holds on to the memory.
Any feelings with a high emotional charge, e.g. inferiority, guilt, jealousy, failure, etc., stay with us until we take steps to acknowledge them and clear the relevant emotion from our bodies, minds and energy systems.
Of course, food and emotions are intrinsically linked, hence why we can inadvertently sabotage our attempts at healthy living (or indeed anything else we are attempting to change in our lives).
Eating to fill an emotional void, eating due to loneliness, powerlessness, boredom, stress…the list goes on.
As incredible as it may seem, we can even choose to hold on to excess weight at a (deeply!) subconscious level as it can give us a feeling of protection; it creates a barrier between us and a harsh world. Or perhaps if we have been badly hurt in a relationship then we can (again, DEEPLY subconsciously) decide to make ourselves feel less attractive in some way so that we are less likely to be approached by prospective partners and can therefore avoid being hurt again.
Huge steps forward can be made when we clear these old, stuck emotions and outdated subconscious programmes which no longer serve us.
When we are functioning from an emotionally-balanced, positively-programmed mindset it is significantly easier to opt for the healthy choice, not only because we are operating from a healthier, more neutral perspective, but also because we are far more in tune with our bodies and emotions.
So, to help yourself along the path to lasting change, as well as following advice from a qualified Nutritionist, take some time to tune into yourself and see if you can identify where and/or when these emotions originate from (you might be surprised).
With a bit of time and effort, it is absolutely possible to clear the negative emotions and programming which are holding us back and to implement balance and positive programming in their place, allowing us to move forward with greater ease and confidence.